View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 02:49 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
First Impressions on 06 Montana 2955RL

Well I am happy to say this unit is far better made than any of the other 9 RVs I have owned in the last 30 years.
I am impressed with the little things like all the switch and electric plug covers being straight. Most of my other units these were all crooked and I had to go around and fix them.

Everything that is visible is extremely well made. All my door compartments are straight and true and all my cupbourd doors are very well done.

The only small thing I have found and it is no big deal ia a lot of wires that run under the cupbourd were attached to the cupbourd framing
with a sticky pad type of plastic bracket. These have come unglued and the wires are hanging down. It will be a simple thing to drill a hole in these brackets and use a small screw to attach them to the wood framework.

The PDI was well done except for one important item and that is the fact that when I picked up the unit I asked if the tires were all at 80 pounds PSI and was told , Yes Sir.

I had a tire guage with me and I meant to check them but with all the stuff to go over, I never did and I drove it 60 miles home at up to 70 MPH and when I checked the pressure at home the next day, I had 3 tires at 78 pounds and the front tire on the slide out side only had 18 pounds. I was surprized because the trailer handled so well and to look at the tire, it doesn't look much different than the one next to it. I fired up my compressor and filled the tire up to 80PSI.
That was 3 days ago, I just went out and checked it and it is down to 30 PSI so I have a slow leak of some kind. I am going to take the tire down and have it looked at. I have the aluminum wheels and my spare is a steel rim so I can get the spare put on the aluminum wheel if there is a problem with the tire. These units are towed out from Indiana by contract towing companies and that is about 1800 miles so that tire might have to be replaced under warranty. It looks fine except for the little rubber rods that all new tire have are rubbed off on the outside corners.

This is a good heads up for anybody picking up a new unit. Check the tire pressure before hauling the unit home.

One last word about these tires. They are made in China, but I have a Kipor Generator on order so I am not anti-Chinese but if I have any more issues with them, I will be putting Michelin LT 235 85 16s on.
Yes these are a 10 ply rating tire I have but I don't believe a TR tire is better than an LT. I believe trailers run heavy all the time and are overloaded to some degree but not the way LT tires are overloaded. I was a masonry contractor for 15 years and I overloaded my pickups with brick, blocks, and gravel. I never had an issue with tires on a pickup. My last 5th wheel had Trailer tires and steel strands were popping out at less than 30000 miles. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote