View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I did a similar trip last August, but after entering Texas, stayed a bit South on I-20 the rest of the way through Texas.

Depending on where you start out in Fl, work your way up to I-10 westbound across the Panhandle to Mobile. From there go NW on US 98 to join I-59 (N), a few miles on that road, then NW again on US 40 to Jackson, MS. You pick up I-20 (W) there. We spent a couple of nights just west of Jackson, near Clinton, MS, at Springdale RV Park. Fine for an overnight or two.

I-20 to Shreveport, LA, then on into Texas for just a few miles. In In Texas on I-20, exit 599 will take you north on Hwy 281 around Longview to Hwy 259 which goes north all the way to Broken Bow.

The route north to Broken Bow after leaving I-20 in Texas shows to be 124 miles, but, as I recall, that part of Texas/Ok is pretty flat and roads good.

My map program wanted to go from Shreveport NW up through Arkansas....been there, roads aren't that good, and terrain is more hilly, so I think the very slightly longer run into Texas would be better and faster, in the overview.

Starting at Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic side, the map summary shows 1154 miles, 23 hrs driving time (at our towing speeds) For us, that is 4 days of 6 hrs driving (plus, of course, potty/fuel/dog-walk/meal stops). Leave at 9, quit at 5. Of course, you can also do 3 days of 8 hr driving + stops (Leave at 8, quit at 6), or, if you are a real glutton for punishment, 2 X 14 hour days (12 driving, 2 for misc stops). (Leave at 6, quit at 8?...not this kid!!)

Hope that all makes sense to you...pretty easy haul, as far as roads go. No way would I go west of Mobile on I-10. The roads NW to Jackson, MS, are good roads, divided hwy on several stretches.

Best,

PJ, Nan and Scooter
3655FL
'99 Dodge Diesel 2500, BD auto trans, pwr chip, Pac brake, Bielsen shocks, Banks Exhaust.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote