View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have the full body paint. It isn't the same quality as automobile paint. It chips rather easily. I figured out fairly quickly that mud flaps (I have Rock Tamers set very low) stops the chipping of the garage door. Of course I had it painted a couple of times before I figured it out. I also kept the leftover paint when it was touched up (garage door and main door were replaced which necessitated painting them, and a friend hit the back of the rig causing some gouges) to use to cover the chips.

I do like there are no decals to speak of and it doesn't oxidize like fiberglass. A coat of wax every 6 months makes it shine. After 8 years it still looks new. It was one of the very first painted Montanas and I still get complements on it.

Would I do it again? I don't know. In 2011, the Big Sky package came out with paint, G614s, covered awning, curved shower and a couple of other doodads. It was priced as an option at $10,000 MSRP (it was only $6K at first - but my rig was a then new model and came out later and the cost went up). Still after a 34% discount of off MSRP, the real cost was worthwhile to me. I understand the new vehicles cost $10K for just the paint. Some complain that paint causes higher inside temperatures. I have found that I have little trouble that way but my RV is mostly white above the mid-line. Some of the other color combinations can be a lot warmer.

Given the decal issues and oxidation of fiberglass, I lean towards paint if I buy a different rig.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote