View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Previous truck was a short bed with manual slider hitch. Dented both sides of the cab and broke out the rear window on second tap. Yeah it happens. It was my fault I suppose because I was in a hurry both times with traffic waiting on me to make a sharp turn. Needless to say our new truck is a long bed.

I do understand why folks would want a short bed if a long bed is to big for the garage. But if your going to go short bed ya almost have to spring for one of those automatic slider hitches.

On the flip side, the long bed has zero problems with jackknifing even past 90 degrees. And it has the advantage of extra room in front of the hitch for say a generator or firewood etc... And lets not forget that you can carry full sheets of plywood with the tailgate up whey your remodeling the sticks and bricks!

If your looking at it from a safety and towing only aspect with no concern for how it parks then it's hard to argue that the long bed isn't the better choice. And if you work the truck outside of towing the extra room is certainly nice. It's sorta like the DRW vs SRW debate. The only reason I can see not to go with the bigger truck is parking.

And I may be wrong but I suspect that the long wheel base will have higher resale/trade in just like the dually. For certain the Crew Cab holds its value better. That might be a topic for another debate: which truck holds its value the best. I vote that it is most likely going to be the 1 ton long wheel base crew cab dually 4x4. That is certainly the most commonly used large 5th wheel towing truck hands down. Only seems logical that the most popular truck would have highest resale right?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote