Thread: I am a leg man!
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had a lot of problems with the legs not going down under weight. They would move about 6-8 inches fine but then hung up and started to chatter. I took one apart and could only turn it down about 10 inches. I cleaned and lubed it as best I could and it was a little better but still would not fully extend. I think max is about 20 inches. When I got home I ordered a new one. I have not had any problems since.
Some advice... I used to use plastic chucks (?) to stop the Monty from rolling when it was raised up. I think I actually bent the front struts a bit one time. We were on a sloping driveway and as I was hooking it back up to the truck, it started to glide forward while the struts were still down. So the solution: I have one of those locks that go between the tires for one side. For the other side I always pull a little too far up (or down) the hillside when leveling and then put the chuck under the tire and coast back into it. This makes a very firm and solid connection to the ground (along with the chuck between the tires). Now when I hook back up, the trailer never (or barely) shifts forward or backward.
Oh, as mentioned on other posts, I started using some gear oil down the top of the struts once a year or so to keep the worm gear working smoothly.
Good luck!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote