Thread: driving time
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I will be turning 54 in a couple of weeks and have been retired for almost four years.

My driving habits depend on many factors - end point, terrain, towing or not towing, and purpose.

When I tow, I try to drive no more than 8-9 hours or less than 500 miles depending on the terrain. The more the hills I travel the less the distance. I should also mention that most of my towing is in the Southwest where the roads are much more open between major towns. If there is minimal precipitation, this typically ensures driving during the daytime, too.

If I am not towing I can go much further, 10-12 hours or up to about 700 miles (since the speed is generally much faster).

As I advance in age, I definitely don't drive as far as I used to especially when towing. I have enough elderly friends and have read enough reports recommending stopping to walk around to keep the circulation going and preventing blood clots. But each person will be different depending on their physical makeup, age and conditioning. For me, I won't drive more than 12 hours any more nor want to sit in a vehicle for longer than that.

Happy trails!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote