Thread: Ozz and KOA
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 02:16 AM   #27
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Ozz, we had planned to stay at "Destination RV Resort" on our trip to the Valley next week. We had a good experience on a previous visit. It was a bit expensive, compared to other parks, but it was of a quality that justified the cost. So... we planned to come back this year until we found out the bad news. [thanks for the alert!] And when I tried to find "the other park" on South Padre, the Cameron County website provided only one link: to the NEW KOA. Anyway, we won't be staying on South Padre. We may drive over for a day visit. I think the KOA there is taking advantage of a near monopoly and charging what the traffic will bear--looks like it may not bear as much as they think.

On a more general note. We have had pretty good experience with KOA over the years. It has never been our first choice, but in certain places we would go back to KOA. For example: Clayton, New Mexico. We've only stayed there a couple of times but the young family running it have been helpful and friendly (they were new owners a few years back). Buena Vista, Colorado KOA: we have stayed there several times. It borders on public lands and I can hike right out the door and up the steep foothills--reasonably priced and nice people running it. We do not stay there any longer as our daughter provides the best rates in the area--FREE in her yard. I started to mention two other KOA parks, but in recent years both have "dropped out" of the KOA network.

Bottom line: we always look for a better choice than KOA, but when there is none or when we know a specific KOA to be desirable, we've had good experiences in those places.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote