View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
Thanks for the replies/suggestions,ran the fan only for over an hour switching between lo/hi speed and no noise also less/almost no vibration than when the compressor is running.

Something else came to mind...this is the original slide type/non digital thermostat in the 5ver.The noise occurs immidiately when the ac is switched on and the compressor comes on at that point,no time lapse at all.When the temp cools down inside I think the compressor used to cycle off and the fan would run a few minutes and then the system would turn off and not come on again until the temp went up.Could there be a sequence problem created by a failing thermostat?

Earlier when I said the unit cycled on/off I meant it came on/compressor included at the same time and all shut off together,no compressor cycle off,it just all cuts off at once.

This is the identical thermostat we had in our 1998 Coachmem TT and it failed after about seven years but had different symptoms,it came on/off at will.I still have that old t-stat and might put it in to see if the noise goes away,I remember reading somewhwere that the compressor pressure needs to drop before coming back on ?

If that is correct then this part of the sequence could be gone and maybe the high pressure is creating the noise?

Harmonic noise is a possibility... I have heard that type of noise from industrail refrigeration applications.I'm going back in the 5ver and look inside the ceiling part of the unit and t/s further.The noise cannot be heard inside the 5ver when the ac is on,only outside and there is no wave to it.It sounds like constant microphone feedback only at a lower level and is very annoying.

I post back later...again thanks to everyone for the help.

2007 Mountaineer 336 5ver
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 QC LWB
2000 Lance 1130
2 Camping Collies 8 & 12 Yrs Old
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote