Old 08-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #111
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

Here is what has changed in Florida.

Florida Highway Patrol did away with the DOT inspectors that specialized in Commercial Vehicles.

Now all FHP troopers have been thru the training course and are qualified to do what the DOT enforcement officers did.

Now on top of that a large number of the Sheriff departments have sent some of their officers thru the training and they are now stopping Commercial Vehicles as well.

Some departments other than the FHP now have portable scales.

Last but not least the old “RV is exempt” is not in the rules, regulations and laws. It is in the difination of “personal use vehicle” and this is very restrictive and doesn’t reference RV’s.

They are now requiring proof of purchase or long term lease when the trailer tag and truck tag are not to the same person.

I have had 2 friends ask me to move their fifth wheel RV for them. One was financed and I refused. The other had a clear title and signed that over to me and I moved their trailer then gave then the title back. That does 2 things it lets me tow under the “personal Use” regulation and puts the trailer under my insurance. I was not stopped or question on that trip.

However the first one had someone else move the trailer. They were pulled over by a sheriff and the cost was $800 before it was over. As is noted by the posters here that is just “luck” and you would probably not have a problem pulling some3one else trailer as long as it looked like an RV.

Last but not least the GVW ratings on the light duty trucks that is all trucks smaller that a 4500 or 450 have been increased. The last time I checked the dual wheel 350 and 3500 light duty diesel trucks are rated at 30,500 LBS GCW. This is a regulatory weight that when exceeded leaves the operator responsible for the overweight.

The HD on the side of a 350 or 3500 does not put it in a medium category truck. That is an advertising gimmick.

Phil P

PS: My Florida Class A CDL has a Triple trailer endorsement.
They get to restrictive you want get anyone to haul freight into that state, or better why would you want to have a CDL, and they wonder why theirs a driver shortage. I been a Heavy Hauler truck driver for 33 years
wade is offline   Reply With Quote