View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #17
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Just got a call from the place working on my truck that are doing the axle seals. This may be some good info or it may be an excuse I don't know. As stated before I had an axle bearing seal go out on my 2000 Ford one ton dually. They replaced both seals on both axles to be sure. After they reploaced them and about 20 miles of driving I discovered that the one axle that didn't leak was now leaking. After taking it back in this morning and returning from leaving the truck I noticed that both sides were actually leaking again. What was discovered was that the rear end was tagged for a 10 1/2" rear gear, and the rear gear was in fact an 11 1/4". They claim this takes a different seal on the axle. I do know it's not a stock gear but a 4:10 ring and pinion so this is probably a very good reason. But a quick check of your work should have revealed that the first time. Even after a test drive it should have been discovered even sitting in the parking lot it leaks. Oh well they got the seals directly from Ford and they are replacing them now.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote