View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

I'm still trying to figure how a sensor on the stem of the tire can monitor the internal temperature of a tire. Unless this is a technology I'm not familiar with there's no way to ACCURATELY sense the temperature since the valve stem is spinning the airstream the sensed value is cooler than the internal temperature. Also, the ambient temperature of the air, be it Summer's 115 degree or Winter's 45 degree is going to impact the valve stem temperature, same thing the Doran engineers I talked to questioned about the PressurePro TPM system's claims.
The systems I have seen that monitor both temperature and pressure, have the sensor inside the tire, not on the valve stem. The ambient air that the sensor reads is that inside the tire. A temperature different from the other wheels, and out of the what I think you would quickly learn to be "normal" would be of concern.

So far I have been getting by with the "hand touch" method at every stop, but I can see where continuous monitoring of both temperature and pressure could be useful.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote