View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #57
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

1) Do you know exactly what was done to “fix” the problem, did the dealer explain the repair and how doing this would solve the problem.

2) Have you found that the problem no longer exists or have you noticed other issues related to the flex of the upper deck......

Carl n Susan – 2011 – Left side replaced ( was the entire left side of the unit replaced)
I had/have both the closet wall breakage and the flex problems on my 2012 3700RL. As I said, Keystone said they had never seen the flex problem before. I know others have had the closet wall problem but they may be correct on the flex issue. They took the RV to their Cougar plant in Pendleton OR to repair these issues and the other 11 items on my warranty repair list. I know they replaced the wall. I also know they didn't repair the closet wall or several other items on the list (despite their assurances they would fix everything at the plant). I am still waiting for the parts to correct the closet wall. The answers to your questions are:

1). No I don't know exactly what they did. I did get a call from Susan Rice in Dealer Relations to explain what they were going to do precess-wise (build a new wall in Goshen, truck it to OR where it would meet my RV and be installed). But exactly how it was to be installed and/or re-enforced was not discussed. The dealer doesn't know as Montana didn't tell them either. Both of us have tried to get an answer but Customer Relations and Dealer Relations at Montana and the Shop Manager in Pendleton do not answer emails or phone calls regarding the subject.

2). The flex has not re-occurred since the "repair". But the trailer has only been towed around 750-800 miles since. They brought it back from Pendleton (690 miles) and I got to use it one week for a trip (90 miles +/-) before it went back into the dealer. I had around 4,500 - 5,000 miles on the RV when the flex problem started.

The current thinking is the flex problem is separation of the wall from the frame. There is a new "field repair" process issued by Keystone/Montana to correct the problem. My dealer just did it to another 3700RL with the exact same problem. They didn't think it was too difficult, it just takes a lot of work.

The closet wall used to have a plywood vertical piece. Keystone/Montana went to a thin piece of luan to "save weight". Rebuilding the wall with an additional plywood backer has stopped the buckling problem in three rigs that I am aware of. I am told (but haven't verified) that the closet wall on units built after October are using a plywood reinforced vertical wall in the closet.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote