View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #56
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I would like to bring this thread to life again by asking those that posted about their Flex problems to update any information from their original post. I would like to ask the following questions:

1) Do you know exactly what was done to “fix” the problem, did the dealer explain the repair and how doing this would solve the problem.

2) Have you found that the problem no longer exists or have you noticed other issues related to the flex of the upper deck.

PapaBeau – 2012 – Front end was rebuilt (how was it rebuilt)

Carl n Susan – 2011 – Left side replaced ( was the entire left side of the unit replaced)

Woodtic – 2011 – Caulking on ODS had pulled away ( any resolution to this issue)

Montana3800RE – 2012 – Major problems on large bed slide. Ron is awaiting repairs as I am, and we seem to be in the same boat as far as the suggested method of repair.

Arcateq – 1010 – Front closet.

Chip – 2013 – closet damage.

Snfexpress – 2009 – Recurring problem in closet area.

I spoke to my dealer today regarding the proposed repair of the flex on the ODS where there is movement and the caulking is separating. The same repair procedure was suggested for Ron’s (Montana3800RE) unit. I would be happy to send a copy of both the Keystone “Inspection Procedure to Determine Degree of Flex” and the proposed repair to my ODS issue to anyone that wants to PM me.

My dealer has never performed this repair and could not explain to me the logic in doing this type of so called repair. He is waiting to hear back from the factory on that topic.
I really do not feel inclined to become the guinea pig for a local tech with possible dubious qualifications to perform this procedure for the first time.

The proposed solution to the closet panel on my unit is to replace the panel and put a plywood backing in the area of the drawer slide. That is to be explained to me tomorrow when I pick up my unit with no repairs yet having been done.

On all models of Montana, on the ODS below the Bed slide there is an expansion joint, this has been built into all recent models because they had a problem with the fiberglass outer skin cracking and breaking in that area due to flex. The problem has been around a long time and the expansion joint was intended to allow the movement created by the flex in the upper deck. Once again they did not deal with the issue of flex they just moved it from one place to another. My evaluation of the proposed repair for both Ron and I appears to be a reversal of the original intent of the expansion joint.

Lipperts method of checking for flex involves only the frame itself, the measurement from the frame on each side to the pin box, with weight on and off the pin box showed how much the “frame” was flexing. This in no way indicated the amount of flex happening to the rest of the structure. Keystone do not use that as their indicator, they have come up with a measurement taken at the expansion joint and only on the ODS. It does nothing to measure how much movement is in the closet or on the DS of unit.

There has to be significant movement in the upper deck to fracture the panel and bulge it to the extent that we see in photographs members have submitted, including my own.

I find myself in a battle not only with the dealer for not standing by “me” the customer, but also with Keystone with respect to the poor workmanship and their lack of willingness to go to whatever length is necessary to correct a problem.

The more we know about repairs done or proposed to other MOC members units, the better we will be informed as to the degree of occurrence of the issues and the impact of the completed repairs. We will know if the proposed repairs are consistent with all similar occurrences.

I do not know if I will allow the proposed repair to go ahead or not, I will make that decision based on the information I expect to be given from the dealer and Keystone. At any rate I am picking up my unit tomorrow and when the parts arrive and I am satisfied with what the proposed repairs entail I will return it to the dealer…Or not….

Thanks in advance for updating what is happening with your problems.

Leaving my profile off to conserve space….
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote