View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #32
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We pull a 2006 Montana 3400RL with a 2003 F250 Lariat 7.3L D Ext Cab LB SRW 3.73 ratio rear end. Have done so for the last three years and have about 12,000 miles or so on the combined units. 87,000 miles on the truck. Purchased the 2003 F250 new with all HD options for equipment trailer pulling but not for a 5th wheel. The 3400RL (Pin Weight) exceeds the cargo capacity rating on the F250 but we added Firestone airbags on the rear axle which solved a slight sag in the rear. Am running fully loaded under the GAWR on all axles, truck and 5th wheel. The only real difference between the F250 and the F350 in this model year was heavier rear axle overload springs (more cargo capacity(Payload) rating) on the F350. All the rest was and is identical. So the Firestone Airbags have brought the F250 up to F350 cargo capacity ratings.

Would I like more power and braking capability, of course, but a 2003 F350 doesn't add anything in these areas over a F250. If I purchased a new truck I would buy a 1 ton but am a long time Ford truck owner and until Ford comes out with a reliable new Diesel engine that I can trust to replace the tried and true 7.3L, I'm staying with what I have. But the key for me is I don't try to go down 6% mountain grades any faster than I can go up. Saves allot of wear and tear on everything and is allot safer. Quite often I can go down 6% grades w/o ever using the truck brakes, with the truck downshifted a gear, but depends a bit on how long the slope is. I keep the down side speed between 45 and 50 mph religiously. Very comfortable. No regrets at all. We are not buying a new truck because we really don't need one. Have elected to not chip the truck for more power, add exhaust braking or go to disk brakes on the 5th wheel. The 2006 Montana 3400RL has been quite troublesome while the truck has performed flawlessly. If your F250 is equipped properly I would hook on to the 5th wheel and enjoy it without worries. I would make the following statement for any F250 or F350. Just drive safely and conservatively.

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote