View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #38
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
This is going to be my opinion about the current Sailun LRG 16” tires. I don’t often write opinions but have been writing about trailer tires for about 15 years and have seen a lot of them come and go.

IMO Sailun has more experience with steel cased trailer tires than any other ST tire manufacturer - even GY, who built them first. GY’s steel cased trailer tires have always carried the LT prefix. They registered the trade mark, RST, for them, meaning Regional Service Trailer. For their first few years of service they had a terrible failure record. IMO a lot of that was due to improper inflation. When you’re hauling a big heavy trailer, its tires MUST be properly inflated in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations. Owners not having tire inflation equipment capable of providing the 110 PSI requirement for the tire or “airing down” for a better riding trailer (which even GY disapproves of) caused a lot of failures, I’m sure.

Sailun first built a LT235/85R16G “knock-off” equal to the GY tire. It was also a trailer tire with “for trailer service” on its sidewall. IMO they did that while they were experimenting with the soon to follow ST235/80R16G & ST235/85R16G registered sizes. Once they ironed out the design features and materials needed for the ST versions they built the molds. As many can attest, they are a success. Proving the China ST tire manufacturers do provide successful ST tires.

Green Ball has added a 15” steel cased tire to their Tow Master line-up. It’s the ST225/75R15F with a load capacity of 3195# at 95 PSI with a 75 MPH speed letter.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote