View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Just out of curiosity,
has anyone put one of these on the newer ford with Torqueshift and Tow command? With the transmission accepting inputs from the rpm and brake pressure to determine downshift on a grade, I'm just wondering if the exhaust brake would make this less effective, or interfere enough to cause erratic shifting?

Brad
Brad, in my opinion you don't need it with the torqueshift and powerstroke 6.0. You have two things working for you. One is the downshifting of tow/haul. But, better yet, is the variable geometry vanes in the turbo. When you lift off the throttle those vanes close, creating exhaust backpressure. A psuedo exhaust brake, if you will. No doubt an addon exhaust brake would provide even more braking but I've done a two mile long 14 percent grade both uphill and downhill plus a couple of 12 percenters and several ten percenters with over 14k pounds pushing on the truck. I see no need for an addon with the 6.0/torqueshift combination. Just my opinion but based on a lot of miles and some serious grades.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote