View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 04:19 AM   #7
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I bought the Garmin 680, probably could have gotten by with the 660. I wanted the speech turn alert to say the street to turn onto instead of just the distance. I live in an area that is not covered by traffic alert so not a deal.

FYI:
According to an article in yesterday's NY Times, GPS devices were the "hottest technology purchase in the week ending on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving." Consumers dropped about $100 million on GPS units that week, a 237 percent increase over last year's sales numbers.

The average selling price of a GPS dropped 53 percent this year, with an average device selling for $171 (vs. $322 last year). The article goes on to say that more people are buying GPS devices this year than PCs, and, despite an overall slowing of tech sales, GPS sales are stronger than ever, beating out LCD televisions, MP3 players, plasma tvs, and digital cameras.

The Times also says that it's quite possible retailers will slash prices even further as Christmas approaches, and that bargain hunters might be well served to wait until the very last minute to buy a GPS this year.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote