View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Scissor Jacks are not weight bearing, are they? And Bottle Jacks are not recommended for long term, in fact all jack usage documentation would request you use a strong jackstand in addition to a bottle jack for this purpose. I have seen bottle jacks fail when left just overnight. One was a car, one was my 3/4 ton pickup. Luckily I did have backup jackstands in place to catch what dropped. I can't imagine leaving this to chance with my 7 ton trailer.

Unless you use a huge and strong system like Big Foot levelers or something designed for heavy weight strength and long term usage, I think it's best to use the lumber or legos since they raise the trailer with some stability from under the tires that carry the weight of the trailer most of the time anyway. Just don't forget to chock your tires to prevent the trailer from rolling off. I am getting very used to the Lynx levelers I use, but I am considering changing to lumber because it would fit the tire much better.

Of course, this is only my opinion and you can certainly try whatever you are willing to pay for if it doesn't work.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote