View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mark, I feel your pain as I HATE to use my portable dish. I have the Direct HD dish and it, to me anyway, is very difficult to align. I can tell you this, there are a few satellites very close together and sometimes you can get "locked" on to the wrong one. Case in point: This summer we were traveling with my sister and BIL Al. Al was having a problem picking up his sat, he has a single LNB dish . Now Al is a very different guy, very controlling and self assured (read: Know it all). He wanted to call DirectTV and get a tech out to see what the problem was. This was after three days and two different parks of no TV. Sis was going crazy with no TV. I SUGGESTED he might be locked on the wrong sat. NO he says, I have done this too many times to fall for that. OK, I says, you are the expert. Finally my sis says, Phil can you try? Of Course Al says go ahead if you think you can do better. I takes out the old compass and sight his dish and told him he was about 10 degrees off. He says his sat finder was going off at that azimuth. I moved his dish about 10 degrees and sis yells out the window, THAT'S IT!!!! He had locked onto a different sat and thought he was right on it. Sometimes it takes stepping out of the box and doing something differently!!!! Good luck
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote