View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I swear by the TrailerSaver Air Ride Hitch. This is the one that many HDT trucks use and I can see why. I have the in cab controller and can raise and lower the entire unit if I need to, for extra clearance from time to time. I also have a MorRyde hitch pin. Now I did tow with a solid hitch and a standard OEM Lippert hitch pin. This combination beat us to death. We switched out the hitch pin first and made a real difference in "chucking" (back and forth motion you feel on the highways). Then we went to a new truck and added the TrailerSaver hitch. As the saying goes "What a difference". We then went to MorRyde Independent Suspension and now feel we have the ultimate ride. Of course, it did cost us quite a few bucks, but we wanted the best ride possible for longevity of trailer, truck and selves. I feel, and have been told by others, that a rigid hitch and a rigid hitch pin will tear up a trailer over the long run. Too many forces working against each other. The movable, floating hitches and hitch pins are the best. I have no experience with any other hitch so can't give any help on them. Seems people that own an aftermarket hitch and pin are usually quite proud of their ride, as I am.

I feel you need to weigh the differences in cost verses ride, determine your camping style (highways or backroads) and possibye how long you plan on RVing. If you're in it for the long haul and travel often (we are fulltimers), then you might consider upgrading both components. If only for a few years of weekending and a few extended trips, I might not make the same decisions.

Good luck in your decision and I hope this has helped somewhat......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote