View Single Post
Old 09-18-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Nita And Al-
I think I can give you the answers to the cold weather that you are looking for. I live about 60 miles south of Houston, west of Galveston about 50 miles, inland about 20 miles from the Gulf. What we normally expect here is three or four nights a winter with sub freezing temps and usually no lower than 28 degrees. However last year we had a freak snow storm on Christmas Eve and 8" snow locally and as much as 13" down towards Victoria. Even Corpus Christi had snow and there was some in the Valley. Even with the snow we only had a couple of nights with the low's about 25 degrees and that was our coldest of the year. Most of the time here it will be low 40's at night and middle to upper 60's during the day sometimes into the 70's. We do get more clouds and rain than the Valley. The record low temp ever in Houston is 7 degrees, so it can get cold here. That winter we went 96 straight hours of sub-freezing temps, which was a big thing for us as we are not prepared for such an occurance.

I grew up in a small town about 160 miles south of San Antonio, about half way between Corpus Christi and Laredo. The winter temps down there average about 8-10 degrees warmer than where I live now. The wind does blows quite hard down there, especially from the south ahead of front that is pushing down.

Each winter is different, some will be wet and cooler and some will be dryer and wamer than normal. For January and February the Rio Grande Valley will probably suit your wants better. The last week of February, March and first couple of weeks in April are very pleasant here on the Upper Gulf Coast. Weather also around this time in the Austin, San Antonio area are also quite pleasant.

You are correct in your thinking about the San Angelo/Abilene area. After Thanksgiving it starts getting rather cold in that part of Texas. Usually the coldest will be the last two weeks of December and through January. I have relatives that have lived there and we have visited around Christmas and it can get cold that time of year.

A Texas winter will be much better than Upstate NY and you will enjoy two or three months here that compare to late spring in your area.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote