View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
May not have been an actual power line. Usually the lower ones are telephone or cable tv.

My problem came up just after we bought our Monty and brought it home. Got a straight 180' driveway and parked it at the end in clear view. We've power poles going up the street, but underground to homes from them. Under the power lines are the phone lines, under them are the cable provider's lines - each 3' lower than the one above. Verizon came in and strung fiber on the poles WITH THE MONTANA IN CLEAR VIEW leaving less than 10' clearance at the end of my driveway. After much back and forth (and some heavy words like "if I rip that thing out when leaving, it's on you!"), a guy with a bucket truck showed up and pulled the fiber cables up far enough for us. They claimed that it was the power companies fault for not having taller poles, since the spacing was required by whatever code they have to follow. Ours was far from the worst though - a neighbor up the street a bit doesn't even have 9'. don't ask me what will happen if there's a fire there (it's a 30 year old development, but we're all on 1+ acre lots).