View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
When I was researching my 5er purchase, I decided against the 5500 Onan propane generator because:
  1. Weight of the unit.
  2. The propane usage was quite high.
  3. Cost of the Onan.
  4. Lost storage space.

I use two non-CARB(Calif. Air Resources Board) Honda eu2000i generators, one is the Companian model, the other is not. They are less than 50 lbs each, and I keep them in the front storage bay where the Onan would go.

Most times I rotate usage between the two (to keep the run-time hours close to each other), running just one generator to charge the house batteries, watch the 120v television, etc..

Both paired together will run the A/C easily, plus other incidentals. I have run the microwave simultaneously, ...but you should shut off the A/C if you want to run the microwave, or other high wattage appliance for extended periods of time.

I built an extended run fuel tank set-up with a plastic 6 gallon marine gas tank, 2 extra eu2000i gas caps with custom fittings that I machined in place of the OEM venting system, 1/4" Tygon fuel-rated hose, and nylon quick disconnects for the fuel lines. With the generator's tanks full to aid the honda's fuel pump suction along with the siphoning effect, and the six gallons in the aux. tank, they will run for a very long time. I don't rightly recall the longest period of continuous run time, as I have only used the set-up twice, but it was easily way over 20 hours.

You can buy the set-up from somewhere on-line, but I just wanted to make it myself.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote