View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
OK finally found out what caused unusual tire wear

I had a thread going a few weeks ago showing how my left rear Goodyear G614 rear tire wore really fast on the inside edge. There is a Goodyear Commercial Tire shop in Reno called Purcell Tire, and they thought I had a loose wheel bearing to cause this problem, so after they mounted two new tires and i put them on a couple of weeks ago, I decided to bring the 5ver by today before our next trip to have them check the wheel bearings. They discovered no grease in two of the wheel bearings, and two more were really loose. Then he said oh oh and should me the rear shackle bolt on the left rear, and it had spun and bent the flanges that are there to keep those yellow octagon washers from spinning. The bolts are supposed to be tightened to 75 foot pounds, and this one was loose and could be moved with a small wrench. So he measured the distance between the axles, and it was 3/8" difference since the octagon washer is used to make adjustments, had rotated from the 6 o'clock position to the 4 o'clock position. So he lubed and adjusted it back to normal, and bent the flanges back. So hopefully my next trip will go well. He said he was surprised that two of the wheel bearings had no grease in them, when my rig is only about 14 months old, and I told the RV dealer to grease the wheel bearings and suspension before the beginning of this season??? So now i have one more thing to check while traveling, and that is to make sure that those shackle bolts stay tight and the yellow octagon washer does not spin.