View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #31
BubbaLynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #10139
I'll throw my two cents in...
I too own a Onan 5500 LP that was installed by the dealer after we bought our 2010 Mountaineer.
It's one of the reasons our fifth went back to the dealer for warranty repair.

The install was terrible and dummy me didn't check their work before I towed it home!

The tech cut the floor out in the gen compartment with a torch, leftover slag and sharp uneven edges all the way around. He also used said torch to cut holes for the wiring running from the gen set to the battery compartment. Again slag, sharp edges and he just ran the wires through with no rubber grommets to protect the wires. By the time I got it home the positive battery cable was almost cut through. (Thank God it didn't)

He also ran the exhaust right under and touching the propane line, the propane line he ran back to the gen set was soft copper and was hanging down low enough that a stray rock getting kicked up could have hit the line.

Long story short...after it sat for months & getting no satisfaction from the dealer for this guys mess I pulled it home and fixed it myself.

I agree the thing is a gas (LP) hog and if I had to do it over again I would have went with a portable unit or two.
BubbaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote