View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #33
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carol,

We're old folks and only have patience for our own grand kids, so we do pay attention when there are kids in the state or federal parks.

Yes, there are kids there, but we've been camping for a very long time before fulltiming in the RV. The trend we see, and we may be wrong, but there are so few families camping any more. This may be just a west coast phenomenon, but we do notice.

We are not big fans of camping in the huge national parks like Yosemite, but on a recent trip to Yosemite in October, we stayed about 70 miles from the the valley floor at Yosemite to avoid the ratrace, and then drove to the valley, and even there, we saw very few kids. We would never go to those large parks during the "out-of-school" months, but do notice the lack of kids trend on the weekends, everywhere.

It is funny that this topic grew into this, Alice and I were just talking about how we could fly our grandkids to where we're camping to take them to see something different than their city life. We have 4 sons, and they have wives who would not think of sleeping in a tent....they would prefer to stay at home and play with their computers, but we might have a chance with the grand kids!

BTW, my little database analyst just told me that we have camped in 140 different locations since we started fulltiming.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote