View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Heat pump on the bedroom unit?
Specs say heat pump occurs on "main air conditioner" - same as the living room unit...

For what it's worth - we were in Houston last week when a cold front blew through and dropped nighttime temps to 30*. I tried our heat pump for the first time to see how it would do. Set the living room T-stat on heat pump+low fan speed and set temp to 67*. We like the "white noise" generated by the AC fans at night. Bedroom unit was off. I had to get up around 2 am to turn the setting down because it was getting too stuffy for us, but we like to sleep cold. I backed it down to 60*. The thing seemed to take the chill out of the air, so I suppose it did its job.
I installed the 3rd AC last month and I ordered the new unit with the heat pump to match the rear main unit. I put it in the bedroom so I could run both in the heat pump setting in the ducted system. The original front when to the kitchen for cooling only. The system worked well even down to 35°. It didn't do too well at or below freezing. I did try it too! I had to kick on the furnace for a bit when it dropped into the teens. I ran the fan in auto because it was blowing cold air when the unit was not heating on low.