Thread: Wifi antenna
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 01:57 AM   #15
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

This brings up a question and idea I have had and just not posted it yet. I hope a geek comes along and sheds more light.
If all us RVers were to have signal boosters it would help our own wireless card as well as sending the signal down the line. I may be thinking too simple, after all there is the IP addressing and WEP codes and all the little Gremlins have to get along. I have been trying to set up a wireless network here at the house for some time now. Most of the products assume the WI FI is for the internet.
I bought a Linksys for WI FI and the setup does not let me get past DSL modem hookup. DSL would be nice but I am 1 mile too far out of city limits.
As for your first question.

Like Carol said earlier. If your equipment is interfering with the wifi signal you will be asked to leave or turn off your equipment.

This paragraph is just dealing with the RF (radio frequencies), it has nothing to do with TCP/IP packets nor WEP security.

The problem with the first boosters were if they picked up a signal they would in turn rebroadcast that signal. In turn they would also gobble up the entire airwave spectrum repeating anything they detected. This was a real problem. I don't know how they got FCC approval for these devices.

They have gotten better about eating up the spectrum but the first versions of these would lock up and not release the frequency, buyer beware.

This is a repeater not a router!
here is a quote from MODEL XXXXX "is also a good neighbor—checking for other devices in the area before gobbling up the radio band"

This is where you can get into trouble like Carol mentioned.

Your second question has already been answered by Gyro.