View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike-- This is a common problem with the steps that have the louvers/vents in them. Most of us either put a piece of plastic or foam in behind the louvered wood to stop cold air in the winter and hot air in the summer from coming into the living area from the basement area. Some have also created a filter system to catch any dust and dirt that is carried by the air returning to the area behind the steps when the furnace kicks on. During the summer I put a piece of foam insulation behind the louvers/under the step to block the hot summer air from coming into the living area. In the winter I sometimes do the same to stop the cold air from coming into the living area. Some have said that this is the return air vent for the furnace to breath. You can put some slots in the foam in the winter when the furnace is used to let it return the air but if the furnace needs that much air that it can't pull in air from the dead space below the upper floor and the basement wall there is something wrong and actually a fiver has a lot of area to draw air from both in the basement area and the living area. I do like the idea by Eagleback with the thin piece of rubber stapled to the louvered board so when the furnace comes on the rubber flap with go to the inside of the void area and when the furnace is not running it returns to the flat position against the louvered board. May have to give that a try. We head to AZ in the winter and it does get rather chilly during the night in our area as it does a lot in any desert area.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote