View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob

Go to dieselplace.com use there search ^ enter lubricity addtive study results
No search function available unless you are a registered member. Please post the results.

I use 16oz of PowerService & 8oz of Marvel Mystery Oil on every 35 gallon fill-up. The amount of additives vary depending on how empty the tank is of course, so if the tank is 1/2 full, it's 8oz of PS & 4oz of MMO, ...1/4 full tank gets 12oz of PS & 6oz of MMO, and so on. Do I get better mileage? Who knows, ....if I was overly concerned about that, I probably wouldn't be hauling a 15k pound 5er around the country! What I do know is, the truck runs quieter, less smoke, and I won't have to replace the lift pump somewhere in the middle of a trip due to no lubrication in the fuel. At least that's the plan anyway.

Threads about what fuel additives to use, what oil works best, blah..blah..blah, etc., etc., never get anywhere productive. They always seem to just turn into pi**ing matches. There's a boatload of different kinds of additives (Stanadyne, Power Service, Lucas, Star*Tron, Amsoil, just to name a few) , try some different things, and use what works best for you and your situation. Quantitative results are practically impossible to document because of so many variables. Did you have a tailwind or a headwind(wind speed? ..or was it a crosswind?!), uphill or downhill(what was the grade and what was the ratio between them and the flats?), full holding tanks or empty, do you do hand calculations, or do you believe the Lie-o-meter on the the digital overhead readout, and so on, and so on.....

Do what ever makes you feel good.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote