Thread: BRAKES?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 03:55 AM   #1
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
BRAKES?

We took our 02 3280RL in to the local Les Schwab to have the tires rotated Monday last. While they had the wheels off I saw shiny metal on the brake backing plate. When I touched it it spun around. They pulled the drum and found that three of the five bolts that hold the brakes to the axle had fallen out and the other two had sheared off. When we hit the brakes they spun with the wheel and tore the wires off. No brakes on the rear axle. We replaced the complete brake Assembly on both ends of that axle. When the tech. was removing the brake plat on the right side he said "thats strange use-ly when axles come from the factory they have lock nuts on these bolts". When he installed the new brakes he put on lock washers. Then we took the trailer to a welding shop where they welded the two elongated holes shut and redrilled them. Total cost $294.95.
When I got home got out the AL-KO owners manual. On the page that list parts for the 12 X 2" brake assembly part 5 is a lock washer. When I contacted AL-KO they said that the book was in error. They don't put lock washers on their standered axle only on the rubber suspensions as there is more vibration on them than on a standard axle. They said that some times those bolts fall off but not often.
When you call AL-KO and they say they will have some one call right back. It isn't going to happen. They are debating wither or not they will reimburse us for the repairs. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote