Thread: Out of the loop
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I started my computer career in early 1966 on the then brand new IBM 360 Model 30. It had a whopping 16kb of main memory running a 2kb DOS supervisor. We also had a lot of board wireing to do on the Reproducing Punch and other machines. I remember I took IBM Basic Assembler Language, or BAL as it was called, in two weeks in Atlanta. When I got back to work I began to wonder just what I had gotten into. I had already had SPS and Autocoder language classes. I finally became quite a BAL programmer. I also took over the duties of a System Programmer caring for the DOS operating system generation responsibility. The Operating System source was stored in a large deck of punch cards. As for disk drives we had several model 2311 disk drives with a capacity of around 7.25mb of data. Yep, it has been quite a ride on the ole computer train for me too. I retired a year and a half ago where I had been supporting Windows 2000 Server Operating Systems and a very large MS Exchange email system for the past 15 years. I agree with what you all have said, I am just tired and don't want to keep up with the changing technology any more. And I also agree with Waynem said about the iPhone. Just give me a simple cell phone that works great as a telephone and I am happy. Geeeze, you all have really made me think about things in my past work career that I had forgotten for a long time.

I'm going to go lay down and rest now.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote