Thread: Better Mileage
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #34
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I would change the fuel filter first. You may have gotten bad fuel. Water in fuel may not be the problem. It may be sludge from the distribution tank where you bought the fuel.
After you change the fuel filter open it up and see how black it is. It should NOT be ALL black. If it is then the engine is starving for fuel.
Mine has a DIC (dashboard information center) and it tells you how much oil life, fuel filter life is left.
The Chev. dealer told me DO NOT trust those figures and change it sooner. I changed the oil at 4544 miles and DIC told me I had 54% oil life left.
Dealer changed it on his dollar, I have 2 yr and 24,000 miles scheduled service free!!
The guys on the forum are telling you straight, after 10k to 20k you will see improvement in mileage.
These diesels are built tight. Remember in 50's and 60's when you bought a new vehicle and it burnt oil during breakin. 100,000 miles and it was shot.
Now we see gassers with 200,00 miles and still running.
Even with all the emmissions junk (mine has it) regeneration doesn't botter me and there is no way I would go back to the old diesels. My first power stroke had 225 HP and my Duramax has 360 hp. Even with my Power Stroke chipped it wouldn't keep up with the Duramax.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote