View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #60
civilengineer42
Established Member

M.O.C. #22618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook-Den View Post
Bagger and Nighthawk got it right, i have a 2018 305RL that grosses at 14000lbs. using a 2014 GMC 2500 (gas) with airbags and all i do is worry and stress over how much we are putting in the camper and truck because i know i got the wrong truck for the job. I,m constantly checking tire temps and pressures. you can level out the truck and trailer with the airbags but the weight transfer on the axles of the truck are not desirable. sure it looks good and brings the headlights down but if you talk to any engineer they will tell you that your weight distribution is incorrect. That being said I ordered a new 3500 duramax and should now be able to enjoy the trip. I have a Hensley BD3 hitch with air ride i will continue to use on the new truck as for my money i think is it one of the best on the market, smooth-reduced chucking well built.
It will make you much more at ease. For years people have pulled big 5th wheels with 3/4 ton trucks and still do. From an Engineering stand point it does not make it right to over load. I wish I could have gotten pictures of the worst RV accident I have ever seen on my last trip. 3/4 ton pulling a Raptor tri axle, bumper dragging the ground. But he blew past me at 75 or 80, and about an hour up the road his truck and trailer was in the ditch totaled. Did not see it happen but by the looks of the skid marks he tried to slow down rapidly, and due to the weight not being spread on the axles right the trailer pushed him around. And from there all bets are off.

God Bless and Safe Travels.......
6.7L Cummins-Aisin Transmission 3:73 Rear Gears
civilengineer42 is offline   Reply With Quote