View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #9
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Hi all.

I have worked in the wireless arena for the last 10 years and here is my 2 cents on roaming charges and wireless data.

Roaming= moving from your providers network onto another providers network (You have Sprint and pick up on PoDunk cellular). The company that you are roaming with(PoDunk)have an 'agreement' with your provider (Sprint). The roaming company charge you and Sprint for the ability to make a call on their network. YOU ARE NOT charged for picking up (registering) on their network unless you make or receive a call. This includes calling your voicemail as it is actually stored on a voicemail server back at your provider.

As stated correctly by a few folks your rate plan will either cover roaming or it will not ( more often than not roaming is covered these days) You should also be aware that roaming is NOT long distance. It is in addition to long distance.

In my experience wireless data does not incur much of a charge roaming wise unless you use your phone as a dial up modem in which case it is pretty much a standard phone call.

I liked the Nextel Wireless broadband product (those of you in NC may have heard about it) it was a very fast and stable product. Part of that technology has been adapted by Sprint in their wireless data model. Qualcomm have just bought a company called Flarion that I had worked with a couple of years ago. When they bring out their offering for Verizon I would advise checking that out.

Sean

borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote