View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Do you remove your 5er hitch often?

I do, after each trip. I store it in the garage at the rear of my property. Even though it is in two pieces I hate carrying the parts way back there to stow it.

So I made a dolly for it. I used two pieces of 2x4s and two pieces of 2x6 (I think all 2x4s would have worked) to create a rectangular dolly, with casters under each corner (two static and two that turn). I also drilled out some recesses on the top of the dolly where the rings on the bottom of the hitch nestle in place and then fastened a little box to keep the pins and cotters together on the dolly. I marked the side with the casters that turn and make sure the hitch release bar is on that side. I use the release bar to steer and pull the whole thing wherever it's needed. My back loves it.

Set up takes less time since I now don't have to back my truck up to get it close to the garage just to reinstall the hitch. I can easily roll the hitch wherever I need to. Okay, I do have to take the dolly and put it back into the garage, but it is MUCH lighter.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote