View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Dear mtlakejim ... despite your drum beating for 4X4's ... here's my valid argument ... some of us don't need one. We don't need the added price ... we don't need the added pile of parts to wear or break ... and the bed height is a bit taller even on today's trucks. Different strokes for different folks ...
The original poster wanted to know if there would be any issues with towing with 4x4. My answer is decidedly NO. Based on the fact most of us on here have 4x4!

You can argue that there are valid reasons to have a short bed SRW if it is your daily driver. But the only people I see with a valid argument against 4x4 Park their trailers 90% of the time and always on a paved site with paved roads everywhere they go and what fun is that? Might as well sticks and bricks....

I or one of my fellow 4x4 owners will be standing by when you find yourself in that UNEXPECTED situation where your 2x4 comes up short! It happened to me (back in the day when 2x4 was more common).Never ever again!

I don’t consider the lower initial cost a valid argument since special order costs more and you more than make up your investment on the back end when you sell the truck.

There might be a very slight difference in maintainer cost but it is very small over life of truck and just one tow bill will eat that difference! But then I tend to trade every 2-3 years. If your keeping vehicles longer then maybe it is a more valid point.

We can agree to disagree because I just don’t see a valid argument to not go 4x4 on modern trucks! Major corporate fleet managers agree and they buy thousands of vehicles. I’ll take the advice of those experts over anyone else any day! But then there is the FACT that the dealers themselves don’t stock them at least where I live which tells me I am not alone in my assessment! Dealers stock what sells and 4x4 outsells 2x4 by 20 to one in my area. Virtually no one buys 2x4 in my neck of the woods.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote