Thread: 4 x 2 or 4 x 4
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #85
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Never been stuck with my 4x4. Never got stuck with our 4x2, either. Probably because I was more careful to avoid situations where I might get stuck with the 4x2. But with the 4x4 I don't worry so much about it.

That said, we've had several times where we would have had to call for a tow if we were towing with a 4x2. One, we pulled onto a grassy shoulder in South Carolina to make some gps changes. Went to start out again and the rear wheels just spun. I was unaware of all the rain they'd had in that area. Sure couldn't tell it from the grass we pulled onto. Put it in 4x4 and walked right out of there.

Another, we were in a gravel site in an rv park near Staunton, VA, the one where the east rally has been held. This site was gravel but the approach to the site was dirt, between our site and the access road. It was only maybe 20 feet but.... We had lots and lots of rain before our month was up and 4x2 wasn't getting it done to get hitched up, not to mention pulling the rig out of there. Used 4x4 and it was fine. The truck and rig were muddy, but we were out of there. On our own.

I don't think 4x4 is required, by any means. but with 4x2 I'd be a whole lot more picky about where I put the truck and the rig.

Also, we like to do a lot of backroad exploring and geocaching. Sometimes we're on roads that are more like cowpaths where 4x4 is essential.

But most of all I think this is a decision that should be based on personal preferences.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote