View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Well, I just didn't want to mess with it and had the shop do it. They allowed me to go in and look at the pulled hubs, the spindles, and backing plates. The tech said that they were in very good shape. No grease on backing plates or brakes. No issues other than old grease in the bearings. I know the trailer had probably less than 3k miles on the bearings but I was worried that since it had sat there for 3 years or so that there'd be some rust or pitting on the spindles but all looked good so I'm relieved.

And it does seem to brake better since they put it all back together -- less grabbing it seems. I'm guessing the shoes may have been a little out of adjustment. Whatever it was, braking is smoother now.

I certainly feel better knowing that everything's squared away there. That's one of the major reasons we went with the 5er this time instead of a motorhome. When we would park our motorhome for extended periods, there was the whole drivetrain to worry about. But on a trailer, it seems to me, that the only thing you have to worry about are tires, wheel bearings, and brakes. Much easier than maintaining the entire drivetrain on a motorhome!

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote