View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I'm debating whether to do this myself or just have the shop do it since it'll be there getting the AC serviced. I've done plenty of wheel bearings in the past so I'm not worried about the job, just debating if it's worth the hassle of doing it myself or paying them $120 an axle (x2=240) to do it.

I read rohrmann's post with the part #'s for the bearings/seals. Am I right to assume that all 2008 3400's came with the 7K axle since it's gross is around 14K?

And do you guys put Permatex sealer on the rim of the seal? I've never done that before but reading Dexter's manual I see that it says to do so.

I have never put any sealer on the outside of the seal and have never had grease come out of the seal at that point. Also, these seals are tough enough to remove without any other material on them. I also read that suggestion and just ignored it. We have the hydraulic leveling and I use that to raise the rig when servicing the bearings and brakes. Without that system, you will need to be careful lifting the rig without doing any damage.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote