Thread: What a Dry Sell
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't use an Air Card, but I use something called a HotSpot. Allows up to 5 devices to connect to it at 54mps max and the HOTSpot connects to the internet ar either 3G or 4G. We use it mostly when we travel otherwise we use Verizon FIOS for internet and the house devices (2 laptops, printer, guest computers) connect via wired or wireless connections to the FIOS Router.

What I do at home is leave the HOTSpot in a 4G position, then will force all devices to connect to the thing. Without doing anything most devices connect wireless @ 54MBs. Then for reasons I do not understand, checking the network status and the speed might briefly drop to as low as 15MBs AND on the other side of the connection the Hotspot will drop to 3GB, then back up to 4GB. If nothing is moved and these same connections to the FIOS router don't ever change like this, then what's up with the HOTSpot and why all the fluctuations?

Nevertheless I do consider the device reliable during our travels and satisfied the performance and I think overall the service is better than most. It's most dramatic and nice to have when we are actually ON the road and need to "cerf" the web when needed. I just don't like how screwy things work at home when everything is static, but I guess with a small footprint 4G is more difficult to maintain. BAH!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote