View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #19
denandannie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11789
Having rv'd in Oregon numerous times, I have some good suggestions. On the Columbia at the very northern tip of Oregon is Ft Steven SP. It has full hookups and is far better than any private park in the area. If you stay there, drive into Astoria to visit the Coast Guard museum. A must see.

Fishing for salmon from shore is iffy at best. A boat increases your odds tremendously. . .even if you have to hire one for just a day. Fishing any of the salmon rivers down the Oregon coast is fun, but shore fishing, again, is marginal.

About 10-15 miles south of Grants Pass on I-5 is Valley of the Rogue SP. Full hookups and right on the Rogue river. Fishing from shore is good. I lost a 30 lb salmon on 6 lb test. Played the bugger for 40 minutes until it decided it'd had enough and off it went. I was fishing too light. The previous day I was fishing to heavy and only caught small ones. I then switched to a light rig and then tied into only hogs. Go figure.

I've traveled hwy 199 several times and will never do it again. I'd go back north just above Bandon and take, I think its, hwy 42 over to I-5. Better road and faster.

Good luck and if you need add'l advice, email me.

PS: In Newport, Oregon, visit the state aquarium. Awesome.
denandannie is offline   Reply With Quote