View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #3
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce0850 View Post
I have DirecTV at home, and am looking to get service in the RV. What do I need? Antenna, control box, cables, etc. Looking for recommendations. I know nothing about satellite service. I just pay the bill at home.
I have DirecTV at home like you do. It's the Genie DVR and 2 Genie Clients. I simple remove them from my house when I go camping and put them in the RV. You want to duplicate what you have at home. In my case the install is relatively new and that means a SWM wired system. i.e. one wire coming from the dish to a SWM splitter and SWM power supply.

With DirecTV to get HD you need a Slimline dish. Either a Winegard Trav'ler on the roof or a regular Slimline dish on a tripod as I use.

I run one cable from the dish tripod to my convenience center where I install the SWM splitter. I put the SWM power supply in the entertainment cabinet. The receivers and their power supplies are brought from home.

DirecTV doesn't know you've even moved your equipment and assuming you can aim a dish, then you're in business. However, if you are outside the local beam for your local channels, you will not receive them, about 500 miles.

Home that helps. I know I've left out some details and options for not removing you home equipment, but this is a start.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote