View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
My wife also has rods in her back. A few years ago we took a cross country trip. By the time we arrived on the other coast, both of our backs were "toast" from all of the chucking and bucking.

Looked at Trailair and Reese 5th Airborn. Liked the Reese better because it was less expensive plus the airbag isn't exposed to the elements like the Trailair.

Had the Reese shipped to the campground, and with the help of my nephew, installed it.

All of the chucking and bucking was GONE! Completed that trip very comfortably. Since then we did another cross country trip. Great ride.

I used to grit my teeth every time we drove over a bridge transition in anticipation of the jolt. I still grit my teeth, but the rig always glides over the transition...can't feel it at all. Would never pull a fiver without.

I alao have an F250, and the rear dropped 2 1/2 inches with the fiver hitched. Headlights were pointed upward. Since my truck has the factory overload spring option, I was able to install SuperStop SSS-3 bump stop extensions from SuperSprings. Rear of truck now drops about 1/2 inch when hitched. Truck now feels much more stable and I don't feel steering traction loss like before. Actually, we feel the truck now rides much better than without. SSS-3 was less money than timberins, and much less than airbags. Also, no maintenance.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote