View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 04:32 AM   #13
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
If you look at Interstate and Trojan they recommend 14.8 volts and Crown recommends 15 volts for charging their flooded batteries. This prolongs the life of the battery by getting then fully charged.
The OP is referring to the battery that came with the unit. Charge that battery at 14.8 and you will be purchasing a new battery every 6 months. The batteries you refer to are deep cycle designed for use in mobile equipment like golf carts that frequently are operated at steep angles.

The converts commonly used by Keystone are the lowest price they can get. I would not rely on them to maintain my standard house battery.

The deep cycle golf cart batteries are different animal. Their plates don’t go as far down as the standard batteries, space differently and use a heaver acid.

Progressive Dynamics converter is a very intelligent converter. I have installed that one I haven’t had any problems. This one has the green blinking light. I installed ours so you can see the light thru the vents in the steps.

The Progressive Dynamics converter uses a float voltage between 13.4 and 13.5 this doesn’t charge the battery this makes up for the natural current draw that happens across the top of the battery. The chemical reaction required to charge the battery doesn’t start until 13.8V.

Progressive Dynamics converter will commonly not reach the float voltage for several days after the use of the trailer has stopped. When I first installed ours I thought it was not working correctly because it didn’t seem to go to the float stage as soon as I thought it should.

My information comes from Progressive Dynamics, Power Stream, The Battery University and experience.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote