View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My fireplace burned up similar to yours a few months ago. There were four wood caps on the façade. The hardest part was trying to find a way to remove these wooden caps. I ended up using one of DW's sewing needles to pop the covers off. After removing the caps there were four square head wood screws to remove. The fireplace then slid out.

Finally, I removed the top cover (a bunch of metal screws held the cover in place). I then found the model number and ordered a new heater/blower replacement. Keep track where all the wires are connected and the new unit I purchased was an exact replacement including all the wiring. I was able to replace the unit days later since I had taken pictures of the unit and wiring before disconnecting the burned up assembly. Make sure you get pictures of ALL the wiring and the pictures are clear and no wiring is obscured.

I have read other posts that another cause of smoke was been the connectors. If they are loose or problematic they can burn from a poor connection. This was the first thing I checked, but in my unit they looked very good and clean.

I also used the opportunity to remove lots of dust that found its way into the fireplace spacing and on the fireplace itself. Do not be surprised at the amount of dust you will find. My rig was very dusty after my 10 years of ownership. I plan to remove the fireplace and dust things on a periodic basis. I can only imagine this will help extend the life of the unit.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote