View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Sharhu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12737
Soon-to-be-Newbie

My husband and I grew up tent camping, and after we got married we tented, then moved up to a pop-up and then a 25' travel trailer. After the kids went off to school and out on their, the trailer was getting pretty old so we sold it and bought timeshares instead. Now with retirement 3-4 years away, we have been planning on getting back into "camping" but with more luxury than we had before. We hope to do a long cross country tour when we retire, maybe even be snowbirds for part of the winter, and of course lots of weekend or weeklong trips. My husband has always thought of a motor home, I always pictured a travel trailer. Then we discovered 5th wheels and decided that was the happy middle that fit what we thought we would want to do. We had discoverd floor plans we liked, even a model or two that we liked. My husband's '94 blazer was going to need to be at some point in the next year so we had researched what we might like and what we might need to tow it.

Well maybe things happen for a reason. We had some spare time and stopped in a local RV dealer to look at some RVs, which also confirmed our decison a 5th wheel. While we were there the salesman gave us a tip about a truck that would pull a 5th wheel that was going to be for sale. That tip lead to us purchasing a beautiful, low mileage 2009 Ford F350 (even has the hitch for a 5th wheel) at a price that was too good to walk away from. We bought it last Saturday morning and take delivery this Saturday. It was such a nice day last Saturday that after we bought the truck we decided to take a drive to another RV dealer that looked like it had some models with the floor plan we thought we might like some day. Well, we left there as new owners of a new 2012 Montana 3455 that was to us, from our research, just too good a price to walk away from. We pick it up in a little over a week.

We are very excited but nervous as well. What we thought we weren't going to be doing for another year or two, just seemed to come together for us right now. Just hoping we weren't too hasty but we love the truck and the trailer is everything we could possibly want and more. Although when we went out to celebrate with a drink later on, we looked at each other with a little bit of panic that maybe we were really crazy. We won't have time for more than a couple weekends this year as we had other vacations already planned, but we are looking forward to some weeklong trips in the spring. Hopefully by then we will have things mastered. I am so glad I found this forum. We are probalby going to be needing a lot of advise and help. Now if I could only get rid of one or two of our timeshares.........

Sharon
Sharhu is offline   Reply With Quote