View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 03:29 AM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Chris and Dave: First to address your last question/item: By law, every diesel pump is supposed to have a label attached (as of mid-October 2006) stating whether it is 500ppm diesel or the ULSD (15ppm); it is a rather small 4 by 6 inch decal posted on the front of the pump in these parts. In my limited winter travels I've seen about a 50/50 split on 500 and 15 ppm stations so far -- they have to get enough diesel through their tanks sold, then have them tested to ensure that what you are buying meets the 15ppm requirements before they can put that label on. My 'daily' fuel point just got his tested last week for the 4th time, last time he was just about at the cut point to change his labels.

Now for the additive: A lot of different discussions here and on other boards. I have the same engine as you (2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab here) -- I personally run PowerService white bottle that I get a Wally world; neighbor runs STP Diesel treatment. Neither of us have had any concerns one way or the other; just feel better adding it for added lubrication (ULSD has less native lube for injectors and injector pump than 500 ppm but oil company is supposed to be putting in additives to meet specs before it leaves the terminal); and then the anti-gelling capabilities. Being an aviator I'm also concerned with water and other nasty things that can grow in our tanks. Opinions abound - do what you feel best and what your dealer supports, but in all cases, enjoy the new vehicle -- you got on that will last you a long time!!

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote