View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I'm glad that you got it working, however...

Resolution is a characteristic that originates with the sending device. Presently, 1080P is the higest resolution for consumer equipment. To see the full resolution on your screen, all of the steps in the chain, including the screen, must maintain it. The connections are part of the chain. In order, from lowest to highest resolution, they are CATV (i.e., channel 3 or 4), video (i.e., the yellow jack and plug), S-Video, RGB (i.e., the computer video connector, which can be very high resolution, but might not be), component, HDMI. Stick with component, which caused you problems, or HDMI, as Waynem points out, for full resolution of DVD output, HDTV and Blu-ray. HDMI carries the sound along with it for simplest wiring. Component wiring carries the red, blue and green components of the picture separately, so some confusion can occur, especially if the labeling of the sending and receiveng equipment is obscure (but that never happens, of course)...

Our Monty's entertainment wiring was pretty good. I improved it by wiring the LCD TV's stereo (i.e., red and white) outputs to the DVD player's Aux stereo inputs. If I select Aux on the DVD player, the TV sound plays through all of the speakers (A, B or both, which sounds way better than the LCD's speakers.

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote