View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, I found another CW installation screwup that no doubt affects the effectiveness of the rear stabilizers. When the frame is covered by a bellypan they are to use a spacer. That spacer is mounted to the bellypan/frame with 3/8 inch self drilling screws. The stabilizer mount is then mounted to the spacer.

The spacer has predrilled holes matching the supplied 3/8 inch self drilling screws. But, CW, in all its wisdom, chose not to use the provided 3/8 inch screws. Instead, they used their own 3/16 inch (half the thickness) self drilling screws and washers to help keep the head from pulling through the hole.

Now, it doesn't take many smarts to figure out that the sideways pressure the stabilizers are trying to stop can easily slide the spacer sideways because the screw does not completely fill the hole. The screw on the right was supplied with the kit. The one on the left is what CW decided to use instead.

I removed one of the screws, enlarged the hole to the prescribed 5/16 inch, then attempted to install one of the 3/8 screws. I was unable to get it to take a bite (which may be why CW switched screws). Tomorrow I'll try Robbie's suggestion and tap it in with a hammer a little and see if it will then bite. If not, there's a fastener store down the street that hopefully would have the 3/8 screw in a bit more aggressive thread to get a better bite. If that doesn't work I'll have to figure out how to get my hand up in the belly to throughbolt these things. The location is close to where the rear endcap rolls under to meet the bellypan. So space for my hand will be tough to come by, especially with these spacers holding things down.

Hopefully this will improve the performance of the rear bars. The only other question is whether the crossmember is rigid enough. I think it is but time will tell.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote